Drumming & Percussion workshop
Our drumming and percussion workshops are a great group activity, catering for all ages and abilities. Fusing West African, Afro-Cuban and Afro-Brazilian rhythms and songs this is a unique, cultural and accessible introduction to drumming.
As a shorter session, this workshop is primarily focused on providing the participants with an opportunity to play a few different instruments, without giving too much attention to technique and culturally-specific rhythms. It’s about building confidence, taking part, free expression and enjoying a unique shared experience. Our tutors are knowledgeable of a whole host of games and activities and can therefore quickly adapt each session to the needs of the group.
As a longer session, this workshop will teach specific rhythms with the songs, instruments and historical background knowledge associated. If you would like to learn about the music from a particular West African, Cuban or Brazilian region then please don’t hesitate to ask in advance and we’ll find the right tutor for you. Similarly, if you would like to hear more about traditional drumming workshops then get in touch via the enquiry link below.
The Drumming and percussion workshop leaders
Our drumming and percussion tutors run workshops throughout the UK in schools, youth clubs, festivals, summer camps and in corporate environments. They come from a variety of musical backgrounds and have knowledge and experience of traditional folkloric music from West Africa, Cuba and Brazil as well as modern styles such as funk, jazz, pop and rock.
All of the drumming and percussion tutors are experienced at working with young people and all have an up to date CRB check certificate. If you have any questions about the tutors or the workshops, please don't hesitate to ask.
Scheme of work
- To introduce the art drumming and percussion as a cultural, enjoyable and accessible experience.
- For beginners, learning basic rhythms and techniques.
- For those with some skill already, learning some more advanced rhythms, arrangements and techniques.
- Building confidence and self-esteem.
- Encourages free and healthy expression.
- Demonstrates the value of good communication skills.
- Evidence of health benefits such as relieving stress, anxiety and depression.
- Improves motor skills and blood circulation.
Highlights of the workshop:
- Having a complete overview of drumming in a modern day music industry.
- Have a chance to have a go at playing the drums.
- Learning the serious side of drumming as well as some fun drum solo techniques.
- The learning will take place in a relaxed environment, with the emphasis on achievement.
All participants will have the opportunity to:
- Beginners will learn basic skills in time keeping, rhythm, tempo and playing.
- For those with some skill already they will learn some more advanced techniques.
- All participants with have worksheets to take away with them.
Evidence of participation
Many youth schemes require evidence of learners' participation and achievements in wider learning projects to contribute to the young person's file or CV. Top Dog can support this by providing a Top Dog Certificate of Achievement.